Friday, March 6, 2009

It's been a while

Life is pretty boring but busy; mostly, I lay around and read. That's about it, actually.
But I have had some interesting little adventures that are rapidly turning into short stories (I'm not allowed to work on anything over 25 pages until next year, boo-hiss).
I'm going to tell one story, though: Tuesdays I spend most of the day in a small lounge in the basement of one of the building at Martin University where I'm teaching a couple of classes. Mostly, I sit around and wait for students to come bug me. Oh, and I lay around and read.
Last Tuesday, I was sitting, facing the entry to the lounge, and I saw a face I didn't recognize. He passed the door and then backed up to look back at me again. It was pretty funny. A few minutes later, he came back into the lounge, smelling of cigarettes.
He sat across from me and introduced himself. He pulled out a thick envelope, ripped it open, and lay a wad of cash on the table, literally flashing the cash, rolled with a rubber band. He asked me what I was doing later that night, and I told him that I had class.
After he questioned me a little more, I clarified that I was teaching a class. I wasn't intentionally trying to put him down, but I don't want to date students--especially ones that show me how much money they have, rolled up with a rubber band. Weird and funny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you forgot to tell me this one!!! What other funny things have happened that I don't know about?
And not to other readers, I don't see her laying around much, reading yes, but laying around, no!!! mom

Anonymous said...

Seriously, this is not a humor-filled incident in my book! How did you get rid of him? Love you, Sue
PS I know your mom is right!

Grandma Weezie said...

I hope that the weird guy doesn't have your name or any personal information about you. Stay busy but safe. Love, Grandma Weezie