Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The surprisingly mild letdown

So, I woke up this morning listening to the rain pounding the pavement outside and swallowing the lump that was forming in my throat--I get this familiar lump sometimes when I need to say goodbye to the dearest people in my family when I really don't want to say goodbye and when I just can't express how much I love them.
Safely and quickly, I got them off to the airport, and the day passed quickly at work with no unusual problems--yeah, I had the normal crying girls, the threats of vomit, the fights to dissipate, and the quirky lessons, but all in all, it was good.
I was praying a bit more than usual today. This week has made me realize how amazing my circle of friends here is--Choi, Shin Bun Ock, Sun Sung Duck, Gim Bong Sue, Pil, Jenny, Tae Hyun, Maria, Hanna--and I love them so much. I don't want to think about saying goodbye to them, but I miss my family so much sometimes. Seeing Meg and Mike compounded this, I think. Well, I was praying that I wouldn't feel too sad or lonely.
Sure enough, this little town of Meyong Jong Dong never ceases to amaze me. While I was to meet Sun Sung Duck this evening, and I was a little late to do so, a lady waved me into her shop. She has a little coffee shop, and she quickly mixed me some Korean coffee and a padjun while I stood there looking around and making my pathetic attempt to communicate. The ladies didn't seem to mind. After a few minutes, I tried to make a tactful exit promising to return.
But Sun Sung Duck was not at her stand. I didn't know what to do. I ran into the hairdresser's shop to try to ask, "Sun Sung Duck odi?" (Where Sun Sung Duck?) in my tremendously broken Korean, and she said something that I didn't understand. I headed to her apartment, and asked again at a vendor on the street. Fourth floor.
I headed upstairs, and knocked on her door. She looked a little tired, but she opened the door, waving me inside--I think I interrupted their dinner. I stood awkwardly in the doorway, offering Sun Sung Duck the padjun that the other lady had just made for me (what am I doing? I love this dish, and it was such a lovely gift). Sun Sung Duck then proceeded to bring me gifts--first a hat from her daughter, then two different jackets (she had me try on two different sizes), and a backpack.
I stood there, overwhelmed, a bit embarrassed, and completely thankful.
I hope I am not taking advantage of anyone.
Last night, Choi and Pil took Meg and Mike and I to the best baseball game--ever--and one after another, all of these wonderful people have been offering to take us out and show us a good time.
And, on Friday, I get to hang out with Jenny and Choi and Pil and who knows?
I have moments where I think I may get on a plane post haste and go see my family. I have other moments when I think I may never leave this amazing town.

3 comments:

Meg Schroeder said...

Thanks for sharing these amazing friends with Mike and I!! Who knows, even if you don't stay, maybe we can do M & M & H return to Busan!! Thanks again for the incredible trip!! We love you so much too!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Heath, it sounds to me like you are cherished all over the world! We are very proud of you! mom and dad!

Lisa Hurley said...

Hi Heather!
I know how much you miss your "stateside" family and friends, but don't be in so much of a rush to leave your adventure that you miss out on the daily joys. There will come a day when you will look back and realize how amazingly adventurous this year has been. I respect you so much for taking this on! The warm and welcoming reception you get from so many of your "neighbors" really speaks to how well you embrace diversity. Remember..."The Journey IS the Destination." Thinking of you and checking in on your blog, Lisa