Sunday, June 8, 2008

It's a little quiet

Funny how it seems very quiet today.
I traveled to Seoul this weekend to visit a friend of my sister Mandy's, Kelly, and had an amazing time. I find this surprising: I don't care to travel alone unless I have the time to absorb and digest a new place and the people, but Kelly is inspiringly travel savvy. She pounced on Seoul with a vigor that I would attribute to chameleons or ancient explorers, and we energetically explored new places, palaces, and palatable cuisines.
Fantastic.
Home again, I'm enjoying the relative quiet and solitude in my apartment: I can hear a baby crying, some music playing (outside, not my own), a loudspeaker from a vendor on the street, and my refrigerator humming. My refrigerator is leaking again.
And so I'm back to my quiet life, in South Korea, with all its foibles and chaos and strangeness. As much as I miss my family and Mexican food, I'm enjoying my small circle of "family" that has been doing their very best to keep me well-fed and happy. In fact, I have several dinner arrangements with three different households (Tuesday with a new Christian family I have just met [the son is named Dong Won, and I can't make this up], Wednesday with Choi and Shin Bun Ock, and Friday with Jenny and Young Hee).
I love Korea.

1 comment:

mandy said...

I'm so glad you got to meet up with Kelly. She is impressive, isn't she?