Monday, June 30, 2008

The Adventures of Sun Sung Duck and Heather, The Saga Continues

Part of me is really ready to go back to America. The part of me that wants to see my nephews, the part of me that wants to play some pinochle with my family, the part of me that wants to have a long conversation that does not have to do with teaching, Canada, politics, or Super ETS.

And then there is the part of me that knows that I may not have these strange and wonderful relationships that I have here.
Sunday, I started at Sun Sung Duck's apartment at 8 am. I found out that Sora, Sun Sung Duck's daughter, would not be able to go with us, but that Gim Bong Sue and Sun Sung Duck's husband would go with us. None of them know English. I don't know Korean.

We sat around the apartment for awhile, and I understood that a taxi was coming to get us, but I didn't really know when. Sun Sung Duck showed me some of Sora's art work, and I was tremendously impressed by the complex, abstract, human figures mounted over impressionistic jean-fronts. Quite creative and meaningful.

After an excellent breakfast, I sort of helped and watched Sun Sung Duck pack up a tremendous picnic lunch. It was huge.











Sun Sung Duck's husband has always seemed a little intimidating to me--the few times I have met him. I cannot quite explain why I feel this way. He is very tall, he has a warn and attractive face, and I'm never sure what Koreans think of me--especially when I show up at their apartments in a strange and possibly unwelcome manner. However, he is none of these things. He laughs easily, and he smiles broadly. This group of three with the talkative taxi driver made an amazing traveling group.

We went everywhere in Kyung Ju. We hiked to an ancient and amazing statue of Buddha, we saw a palace, we saw a stretching area of burial grounds that were huge mounds of earth, and of course, we had an amazing lunch.

These people are so phenomenal. I am so continually blessed to have these wonderful experiences.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Heath,
That sounds like such a good time, but was it quiet? Did you talk, did they talk, or did you all just eat? Was the guy in the striped shirt the taxi cab driver? How did he get invited? love you!!! mom

Meg Schroeder said...

Yeah for Sun Sung Duck!! Love to hear about your adventures, and be able to picture you in and amongst these friends, hear their voices, smile as I remember them...