Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Two months--and counting

It's strange how a couple of quiet days will lead right into a crazy time.
Last week was pretty crazy, but the last few days have been very busy but quiet, complete with the torrential down pour that followed me home from school tonight. My umbrella blew inside-out twice, but when the wind was gusting the worst, the rain was pounding the least.
Wow.
But I'm going to back up and tell a bit about the past weekend.
I went out with my friend Jenny on Friday. She was sad to have missed me last week when I was in Seoul, and she was ready to celebrate my birthday. She ordered chicken and gave me a strange necklace of a pig which is both beautiful and peculiar at the same time. Tae Hyun gave me a CD of James Blunt, complete with the song, "1973" which he will play for me when he sees me.
Tonight, I was wishing for a quiet night at home, but I had made an appointment to visit with Dong Won and his mother Bek Myuong Soon. My jeans and socks were wet from the rain, so she took my socks off, cuffed my jeans, and proceeded to rub my feet and ankles with a small towel. After Myuong Soon sent Dong Won to the store for milk, she tried to take off my clothes to put on dry clothes--insisting they were gifts. When I told her about a hundred times, "Anio," and, "No gifts," she pouted for a minute and began drying my jeans with a hair dryer.
What an amazing world. I felt like ripping open the Bible to point to the part where Jesus says we should wash each others' feet.
They are fasting and praying about their future, but they made me an amazing dinner with a soup that defies explanation in my realm of taste experiences. I had a brief moment when I suspected that they hadn't the food or the money to eat this well.
I don't know.
But what I do know is that I always feel blessed leaving Myuong Soon's home and Shin Bun Ock's home. And I always feel stupid remembering that I had wanted to spend the night alone in my apartment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Heath,
What a gift for you this time in So.Korea is turning out to be! my prayers are answered in all of the sweet things you experience! mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, I am loving reading about all these sweet people who are so open and loving to you! Thanks for letting us in on your experiences through your beautiful writings! Just amazing . . . everything! Love, Sue