Thursday, July 3, 2008

Whistles

Well, a couple of funny things.
First, I was after another transformer tonight. It was only a little one, not like the three-inch beast I verbally and bleachly abused the other night. This one was in my tiled bathroom, so I hosed it down with a half a bottle of bleach before it stopped jumping, and then I washed it down the drain.
Somewhere in this ten minute battle, I began feeling a twinge of remorse. These marvelous creatures really are amazing: this baby transforming was hoping around my bathroom, drinking so much bleach that I may not need to clean the bathroom for another couple of days. And yet, it struggled, leapt, and moved. What a truly marvelous creature.
This twinge of guilt didn't keep me from washing the thing down the drain and yelling a couple of mean names at it.
The second thing happened a little earlier tonight. I was over at Dong Won and Meeyoung Soon's apartment, eating dinner and enjoying a chance to sit down. As usual, when I was trying to leave, Meeyoung Soon started to pack up fruit and bread to send home with me despite adamant protests. She tried to give me some clothes again, but I distracted her from this when she gave me a barrette. This is all really strange. I feel incredibly uncomfortable, but I think she enjoys this.
On the way home, Meeyoung Soon stopped me into a small store to purchase a whistle. She hung it around my neck and began demonstrating the many situations I could use this if I were ever threatened.
How awesome.
In America, we have mace.
In Korea, we have whistles.
I find this so incredibly ironic considering the neighborhoods I have been around. I should have bought a whistle when I was teaching at Martin....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that idea. I might get a whistle myself.

Anonymous said...

how great that you have another person who wants you to be safe too! love ya ;mom

Unknown said...

The other option is to buy an eyepatch and develop a drooling problem. Grumble a lot and people will tend to leave you alone.