Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An American watching the Seoul Olympics in South Korea

Tonight I was over at Shin Bun Ock's house having an awesome dinner, as always. After a bit of talking, she invited me into her living room to watch the Olympics: one channel playing weightlifting and swimming, and the other channel playing a baseball game between South Korea and America.
Don't start calling me anti-patriotic, but I was pulling for the Koreans. The Americans have plenty of medals, and I'm amazed at how this little country can pull off so much with some passion, some energy, and some patriotism. I was excited to see them do some exciting things tonight.
Well, as history would have it, a Korean beat out a Chinese in the weightlifting, a Korean placed second in the swimming, and the Korean baseball team beat the American team in an exciting ninth inning finish (with players from the Busan team that I have seen play a couple of times now).
Wow. Shin Bun Ock and I were cheering.
I'm not turning into a sports fan or anything, but the Korean spirit is certainly inspiring.

2 comments:

mandy said...

Glad you got to watch the Olympics. I've seen bits and pieces of swimming and gymnastics while I eat breakfast.

mom said...

good commentary, how fun it must be to see the olympics from the point of view of another country. When we listen here, you would think that the U.S. were the only country in the world! love mom