Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Back in the USA

After a long trip (I don't think I'm exaggerating with the moving, the 20-hour layover, the 12-hour flight from Japan, and Dad and I's drive back from Chicago), I am home with Mom and Dad. We ate tacos with avocado and played cards while I was falling asleep.
It's strange that the memories of the past year are fading into a sort of warm memory. I am back at Mom and Dad's, by the lake, watching Good Morning America, and drinking coffee with Mom. Nothing seems terribly different: sure the paint is different and the house looks great and the screened-in porch is awesome, but everything seems the same.
I can see the tomatoes ripening on the vine outside, and I can see an egret wading in the lake outside, and George is sitting on the window sill next to me. It is very quiet.
A canoe ride is in order before it gets too hot, and I will try to talk Mom and Dad into getting take-out Chinese in the next couple of days (yeah, I like Asian food, but American-Chinese take-out is in another category that does not quite fall into either genre), and I still need to exchange a bunch of won to dollars.
Generally, though, South Korea seems like a strange and beautiful dream. On to the next adventure--any ideas?

4 comments:

mandy said...

Glad you made it home, Heather! Hope you have a relaxing reunion with everyone.

Sarah said...

Welcome back to the states!

Anonymous said...

I am terribly glad you are home too! It seems so good to come home from work and you are curled up on the couch reading with a variety of kitties snuggled in next to you! Love ya! Mom

Meg Schroeder said...

Minnesota here you come!!!