Thursday, November 20, 2008

Avoidance of ambiguity

This blog is turning into a source of frustration because I simply had no idea there were more than two or three people reading this. Well, I'm going to attempt to be less ambiguous and more clear. At least for now.
The last couple of weeks have been strange. I was in California last week enjoying my friends John and Sung Hee--they bought a new house and are pregnant (married, to avoid ambiguity). They are so generous and hospitable, I considered their offer to let me move out there, but really, I need my space and my quiet.
Sung Hee is this beautiful, petite, tiny Korean gal who weighs as much as I do at four months pregnant. I love this gal so much--John, too, and John and I can't agree on a single thing, so we end up having long and circular conversations. What great fun.
I was at Martin today, going over syllabi and picking up textbooks. This place is so strange: despite the ongoing politics and conflict that I hear about every time I am there, I always feel stronger, better, and respected after I leave there. I'm starting to look forward to the classes this semester.
And the training for Axia College continues. This is turning into a huge, unpaid, timely investment that makes me want to make up a fake resume that may get me hired in a coffee shop or a video store. Maybe next month.
MFA stuff: as of last week, I found out that I have been accepted into both of the programs. This is exciting, but I need to make a decision by, well, yesterday would have been good. I visited Spalding on Tuesday, and Anne Patchett gave a wonderful talk on Bel Canto. She is so humble and funny and human that I almost feel like I can do it, too.
And the writing group: this group of strange writers are so exciting. I'm starting to look forward to spending two evenings a month with this group of men that are ten to thirty years older than me--oh, there is one girl that is my age. This group is so great.
Besides this, I'm pretty boring and pretty straight, still. Here's a good picture of John, Sung Hee, and I. I love my new haircut--compliments of Kate. She did a great job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute haircut, Heather! It suits you.

Anonymous said...

That was me . . . Sue

mandy said...

I love the haircut!