Sunday, November 9, 2008

On being a single, heterosexual woman

One of my neighbors in South Korea told me that my personality makes me seem much larger than my height. I like this. I took this as a compliment. They also said that I'm boringly straight.
Being single means that I can take off to South Korea with only my mother worrying about me. Being single means that I can take four months off to work from "home"--home being the free rent at my parents' home at the moment. Being single means traveling around the USA and squandering my savings and no one can really get upset about this. Being single means that I can pretend to be a writer and no one can really tell the difference one way or the other.
I was cleaning out my email, and found a series of emails, one or two a day, even on Christmas, for about three months. He reminded me a little of Barack: handsome, educated, fascinating, traveled. He probably had a daughter and even a granddaughter, but this didn't seem too bad because he ran marathons and looked like he could be thirty.
Then, through a bit of gossip, I found out he was probably married.
Being single means that I can be choosy. Married guys are most definitely out of the question. No matter how many times they email me.
And then the adorable Korean guys. If their English skills had been better, I might have asked one of them out myself, but conversations often seemed limited to politics and baseball and movies. I have an appreciation for these things, but really, I spend more time with books and writing.
Being single means that I can be choosy. I don't have to date guys solely on their looks. But, this is a factor.
So, no married guys, a guy who can write a good email, good conversation, more than just a pretty face--God only knows.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE a writer . . . no pretending about it. ~Sue

Portland Dad said...

Here is a funny website for you

http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html

Anonymous said...

What a nice, newsy, ungay blog that was!! You are a character from a book my dear! and i love it! mom

Unknown said...

I didn't realize I had written you that often.