Friday, February 29, 2008

Dayquil and Spanish-speaking Koreans

The Spanish-speaking Koreans first.
I have met three in the past week. This is strange for two reasons, I suppose: the first is that the push to learn English is much stronger than any other language, so to find someone who speaks Spanish better than English, well, it's a bit weird. The second is that I have learned that I can carry on a simple conversation in Spanish much easier than I can in Korean. This is very frustrating.
The two situations. One, I met a very strange cab driver who even started singing in Spanish. Quite strange. But the stranger experience was the one I had today: I ran into a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses and talked to them for ten minutes in broken Spanish before I realized what they were getting at. Wow. Very interesting.
Now to get back to the whole YMCA/graduation thing. Well, I caught a cold or the flu early this week, so by Tuesday, I was taking some of the wonderful Dayquil that Megan had sent me last Fall when Dad came to visit.
Good thing, too.
Picture Donnie Darko with the Wizard of Oz dwarfs all in graduation caps and gowns. It was so strange, chaotic, and stressful. During the practices, nothing seemed to go right, everyone seemed upset about every little detail, and all I wanted to do was sleep. Strangely enough, by the end of the graduation night, the parents were all smiling and happy, I got an armful of flowers from a couple of different kids, and everyone seemed content with the celebration.
Today was the last day of classes for the year, and once again, I am changing my schedule next week. It doesn't seem too bad, but I had kind of grown accustomed to my classes and life. No such luck. Pretty much everything is different.
Well, officially six months down, and six months to go. The excitement never dies. We have said goodbye to the two foreign teachers and another three Korean teachers this week. It's been a tough week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, you of short memory, don't you remember being part os some pretty crazy productions? Some at school and church, but the really crazy ones where in Furler's basements! love mom