Monday, March 3, 2008

Chenju and the new schedule

It's funny how a couple of days will pass, and I will have a running commentary in my head about the events. A single hour might have two or three different blogs, but I never seem to have the time to keep up these entries. So when I finally do sit down to write something, I write the Reader's Digest versions.
So the Reader's Digest version.
Yesterday I went to a Korean wedding. Actually, I attempted to go to a Korean wedding. I was under the assumption that Jenju (or Chenju?) is approximately an hour outside of Busan. Not true. A co-teacher and I trekked out with over two hours to spare and missed the twenty minute long ceremony completely. That's right: twenty minutes long. We caught the tail end of the ten minute long photography session before the next wedding started.
I snapped a couple of pictures, and then everybody headed down for a buffet dinner. It was pretty cool.
Then, my co-teacher (Jon) and I wandered around Chenju for a bit, snapping a few pictures along the way--and yes, the pictures are on Facebook. A castle, a river, strange cartoons, great stone statues, and interesting boats to make the trip complete. And of course, the traffic in the comfortable inter-city bus, well, let's say that this topped the trip off, too.
The new schedule today was a bit chaotic. I can't begin to describe it: it's a little frustrating but mostly strange and unplanned and unprepared. It's like this new day of the new school year sprang up on everyone--without the summer break or a day's vacation to plan since the graduation last week--so no one really knows what to do. Half of the Korean staff are new, all the students are lost, and mostly, the western teachers just don't have a clue what is going on anyway. Our main office manager was supposed to leave last Friday, but she came in today because most of the students and teachers didn't have their schedules or their books.
Luckily, I still have my classroom, I have my books, I have my schedule, and I have my head on straight. I even made it through the first day without any real problems. Except I'm back up to 40 hours (39?) for another couple of weeks or so. This is not too bad, but it's a bit draining.
I knew the thirty hour schedule wouldn't last.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.