Thursday, March 13, 2008

The easiest, most annoying job ever

I have decided that my job is incredibly easy but terribly annoying at times. Mostly, I just do what I can to take care of the kids, teach them some English, and make a positive impression on the people around me. Mostly.
After a week like this, I remember how easy and difficult this is: today I finally got oil for my hot water (day five--I took the longest shower ever tonight), I'm still serving the kindergarten kids lunch, I'm having this incredible international experience, and I'm getting paid an incredible amount to show up and speak English. Well, this is great on some level, but I remember about ten years ago when I was waiting tables at Vescio's Italian Restaurant in Minneapolis, and I decided that I would never again let my outer appearance mean anything. I wanted to be more than a pretty face or whatever.
Ten years later, a Master's degree and a booth babe job later, and here I am, a nice foreign face, getting paid plenty of money to simply speak English. This is all well and good, I suppose, but I kind of wanted to be valued for who I am. I guess everybody does. I don't think my teaching experience, my education, my knowledge, or anything are of any value. This frustrates me a little, but mostly, I wish I could work for a school or a company that tries to use people's experiences and strengths.
I have moments when I am coloring with the kindergarteners, looking for colored yarn in a store, trying to get a room full of kids to sit down, trying to get a couple of teenagers to care, salivating over some of the grammar classes, or convincing my bosses that I'm trying to do my job, and I think back on the lovely days at Martin University or Winona State University. Oh, to talk about education in an environment that is not so strict and more creative...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those days will come again! maybe this time next year! What a lovely sunday ;morning chat we had today! love you!! mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
I love reading your unique take on your experiences and observations. Only you could express so well that desire that we all have -- to be loved and appreciated for who we are -- and to be challenged to use our particular gifts. After a time the meaning of your Korea year will come into focus. Love you and miss you! Sue