Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Happy Squid is Gone

I feel like I am writing in code or some sort of Korean double meaning: the Happy Squid is gone. Well, my main landmark and the quirky little restaurant on the corner in Meyoung Jong Dong has been replaced by a cell phone shop. I find this quite sad for two reasons: the first is that this funny little cartoon character has come to stand for some sort of strange happiness in Korea. This joy is something I do not understand and I do not entirely appreciate, but I see it on the friendly faces of people who greet me on the street. I see it on the faces of the ladies who pat me on the back. I see it on the faces of the people who offer me candy on the street (hmm, this last one sounds very suspicious, but here it seems to be a gesture of good will, nothing to worry about when it comes in a wrapper from someone who is over eighty). I see this on the children's faces as they call out, "Hello, glad to meet you," on the street to me, and I've never met them before.
The second reason that the Happy Squid's disappearance makes me a little sad is more tangible. In many parts of the city, large apartment buildings stab at the sky, huge complexes like a Target or WalMart are popping up everywhere (they are called HomePlus and MegaMart here), and the small locally owned stores are disappearing. In my little neighborhood of Meyoung Jong Dong, the small stores are all locally owned, and the shops all have friendly faces. A new cell phone shop seems to show the encroaching development.
So, the Happy Squid is gone. If they had put in a Starbucks, I wouldn't be complaining at all.
For Easter today, I feel a little anti-climatic about holidays. I did however, go to a great church service this morning, and I had a fantastic brunch at the Seaman's Club: lamb, ham, clam chowder (I can't rhyme anymore), potatoes, vegetables, coffee, and chocolate covered strawberries. I love this place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was there a picture of the happy squid on one of your blogs? Meet me in Hawaii in August? love mom

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can use the Happy Squid as the name for your next book. Catchy, isn't it? Sorry I don't write more! Love, Mandy