Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A funny dream

I had this strange dream: a dream in which I was surrounded by love and gifts. I was warm and happy and contented. Everything was so perfect.
OK. It wasn't heaven, but it was Hawaii.
Everyone is so good and wonderful, and I miss them so much. Coming back was really difficult, but I'm here.
But as hard as it was to get on the plane, this week has been tremendously easy and quite nice. I sort of thought that I might have forgotten the few words in Korean that I knew, but I didn't. I still can speak enough to take a taxi back from the airport to the ghetto. Also, I am now working thirty-one hours a week (well, plus an extra five to ten for planning), and this is a huge step down from the forty plus I had been working.
And perhaps the biggest change was tonight. After I left school tonight at six-thirty, the air was a little different. It was very cold, below freezing, but something was different that I had not experienced leaving work. The sky was still a little light in the west. Only in the last month have I gotten off at six-thirty, and only the last couple of nights have I noticed this faded light in the sky. In another couple of weeks, I will be walking home in the daylight. I find this so encouraging: I am making it through this mild winter gradually. And, I hardly blinked, and it is Tuesday already.
Time passes so quickly here, this adventure must be keeping me busier and more active than I can even imagine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear Heath,
glad you got home ok. it was very sad to put you back on the plane, you were right, the week was not nearly long enough. But you are on an adventure, and I think God wants you to finish out. One of these days he will let you know why exactly you are there, and what he has in mind for your future! love you and miss you, Happy Valentine's Day! mom

Meg Schroeder said...

Love you, sweet sister!! So great to see you! Now the count down starts again! Just have to get a specific date!!