Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Packing, packing

Funny, I always thought I was a fairly easy traveler. Turns out, I'm too obsessive and everything.
I actually started packing about two weeks ago. I wish Kate and James and Mike and Finn were coming, too, but this does not hinder my intense excitement. I can't believe I will be able to take showers and baths without turning on the hot water for an hour beforehand, without holding a shower head to hose myself off, and then hosing down the bathroom with bleach to fight off the mold.
I have a couple of spots of mold that have threatened to takeover and move in while I am gone. I'm trying to reason with it, but you understand, it's just mold. It's hard to reason with single-celled organisms.
Not dealing with the mold and my bathroom for a whole week, this in itself is a vacation.
But then, I get to see most of my fabulous family. And anyone who knows them, knows that this is a vacation.
It's funny, though, because as I started planning for this trip, I began trying to pack. Maybe I started packing about a month ago, I think, because I was so excited. But this has become a harder chore than I thought it was going to be. I will only be gone for a week, but I plan to bring back enough coffee and antibacterial lotion to raise some eyebrows at the immigration counter (Meg, I like the darker and medium roasts best, and no, I don't have a grinder. Don't worry about coffee if you don't get any because I know I can get some in HI). I also have to pack a carry-on bag for a six hour layover in Japan and a fifteen hour flight to Hawaii.
Like I said, the conundrums of travel when I'm way too obsessive and excited. Still, I wish I were going for a month.

2 comments:

Meg Schroeder said...

Yeah!!! Okay, couple pounds for you, some for Mandy, maybe some for Kate, check! I know what you mean about the whole packing thing, crazy crazy, but it's always fun remembering that when you're traveling with us, if you don't have something, chances are, one of the rest of us will! Can't wait to see you in 5 days!!!! 5 DAYS!!!! YEAH!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey listen, just bring you, and we will get everything here that you need!!!! I did not realize that you have such a long layover, and trip over the water. hang in there, and get here as soon as you can! Jake, and mandy, scott and me are all here waiting for you guys to come! mom