Thursday, January 10, 2008

Korean Men

Well, I don't really have any news. John and SunHee (I really have no idea how to spell her name or any other Korean's name--I don't know why I even try. It just seems better than saying, "John and his Korean wife who has a name I can't spell") left for California today. A few of the guys from the church are moving into John and SunHee's beautiful apartment, and Jenna is moving into the guys' old apartment. She has one roommate, but she wants me to move in, too. I'm not really game. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a bit of a homebody. I like to go home at night, I like to do my own silly routines, and I like to be alone.
Great. I'm already turning into an old maid.
So, strange story about Korean men. When Jenna first came to the church, she began meeting some of the Western men that live here. One of the Western men offered to give us a ride to lunch. She saw several with cell phones. After she started dating Matthew (at church), she met several other Western guys with cell phones and cars. She said something like, "Wow. Foreign men with cell phones and cars! They are just like Korean men!"
I laughed really hard. At the moment, I thought this was simply ridiculous. Now, I think this is sort of sad. Western guys have set the standard for everyone else: Western guys usually have a few electronic toys and some sort of interesting mode of transportation.
Ten years ago, this was not the case here in Korea. Now, everyone--OK, at least the younger generation--seems to want a nicer car, a bigger apartment, a better phone, and nicer clothes. I think consumerism is catching.

2 comments:

Meg Schroeder said...

I keep meeting people from other countries who are shopping for friends and family in their home countries who think Gap is the best thing since sliced bread, kinda weird. Can't wait to see you in 27 days!! Mike says "my dream is to have a cellphone and a Kia or Hyundai; I'll even settle for a Daewoo." Does this match up with what Korean men say too? He says hi too and wishes that he was coming to HI too... Boo.

Anonymous said...

hey heath, i'm on!

i thought asian people were very up to date on consumerism, especially in electronic? mom