Friday, April 4, 2008

This one is for Mom

Happy birthday to Mom!!!
Mom and I were talking the other day, talking about Meg maybe coming to visit in Korea around my birthday. Mom asked if we would be able to find a birthday cake to celebrate. This made me laugh for two reasons: one, anyone who knows me very well knows that I am not particularly fond of sweets, and two, the cakes here are elaborate and ostentatious.
So, I decided to post a few strange pictures of Korean cakes so that I can show that, 1) Meg and I will be able to find a cake, 2) that an elaborate selection is available, 3) that I'm thinking about Mom dearly on this day, and 4) that this country is wonderfully strange, not the drab place that James may imagine. I put some more pictures on Facebook of strange advertisements.



Actually, I just saw this display case walking home one night. This one is relatively small. I have seen more elaborate and extensive selections, but this one will give you an idea of the way pastries are done.




This is some sort of tiger (or maybe a bear?). Interesting, many cakes are in the shape of animal heads. The first thing that comes to my mind: how in the world are you supposed to cut this thing?



This gives you a small glimpse of the elaborate decorations. The kids at the kindergarten do a birthday party once a month, and the parents send in cakes. Chocolate is a big thing, of course, but fruit seems to be an elaborate decoration.



















I don't know what this cake is. It looks like a stack of marshmallows on top of this cake, but who knows.

1 comment:

Meg Schroeder said...

Hmmmm... they all look good to me; when we come, we'll have to do a little early Heather's birthday cake! Yeah!!!