Friday, November 16, 2007

A barage of posts

I have taken quite a few pictures in the last weeks--how exciting, thank you, Grandma Weezie! I have two more that I would like to share.
These are my two kindergarten classes. Wow. They are my kids. It's funny how much I still don't like kids, but I do sort of understand them.
This is the Bluebird class--but Daniel (pronounced Danielle) and Justin were missing the day I took these when were at the Museum of Korean Historiologic Life (I'm making this up). Andy is pretending to be a dinosaur, Alex is punching something, and the girls are being cool.


This is the Rainbow class. Justin and Kaori are doing something tricky for the camera--I don't know what.
Susan is the Korean teacher to the right. She is so kind. She often shares the children's snacks with me. She always greets me with a smile and a bow.
I don't like to play favorites, but Chelsea is the girl in the red bow in the back. She is funny. She doesn't sit still, doesn't listen, doesn't test well, and isn't very pretty. She intrigues me, though: sometimes, I will ask her a question to distract her from writing on Thomas's desk, kicking Ruby, and cutting up her book--all at the same time most of the time. If I can get her to look at the book for two seconds, she will answer correctly. Hmm.



So, I'm off to watch a movie. This week has been tumultuous, and I am so grateful for a quiet Saturday. My new schedule is awful, but the classes are so good. Also, the owners came to watch one of my new classes for a few minutes, and when they left, one of the girls cried for the rest of the class. In addition, the school hired a consultant of some kind who is trying to befriend everyone, but no one seems to trust him. I met with the consultant, and he asked me to help him with marketing strategies, even suggested a competition among the employees to see who could recruit the most children. I tried to tell him as politely as I could that I know nothing about marketing.
I'm beginning to catch a glimpse of the pressure that Korean children undergo for their educations. And I'm beginning to catch a glimpse of the bad sides of the school.
I pray that the other teachers have money, that the children understand that some people love them, and that maybe concern for the children and education may be more important than expansion and money.

1 comment:

Meg Schroeder said...

Wow, schools over there are v. different from here, huh? By the way, don't worry too much about Linus, he's very well comforted right now, and doesn't seem to know what's going on, which I think is good.