Saturday, November 10, 2007

An Introvert Becomes Friendly

Well, I just put some pictures up, but I'm going to write a couple of things anyway. I'm listening to the mix that Meg sent me, and I'm missing the family a bit. All the gifts that everyone sent--movies, camera, candles, books, hand-knitted scarf, slippers, journal, magazines, dictionary, room sprays, cockroach death powder, and probably a few other things that I haven't mentioned--are like treasures: proof that everyone is still thinking about me and thoughtful gifts that no one here would even know that I would want.
Thank you so much.
So, it's been a crazy week. I started a new schedule. I'm still starting at about 9:30 for the morning kindergarten, but I have picked up a couple of night classes. This means that on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, I do not finish until 8:30 pm. While I have a three hour lunch scheduled on these days, I am spending most of this time at school, preparing for school and working on classes. Maybe in a couple of weeks, I will feel a bit more comfortable with the work, but right now I'm working some long days. And not checking my email as frequently--sorry for neglecting my messages more.
Today, I met with Terri again to teach the kids at her church. The kids are great. Their mom sent us treats today. Wow, Korean generosity befuddles me. Then, Terri took me out to lunch, and we sat and talked for two hours. She is great. She has such a tough job and no rest. I respect her so much.
Then, tonight, I met up with MinkYoung, Young Hee, and Sonny again. These are the Korean students I met for coffee two weeks ago. I am so tactless and Western sometimes, I know I say the wrong things. These three students study so hard--Korean teachers need to know piano, English, and about ten other subjects. I think being a teacher in Korea is like being a phD in America, except they need to know a lot about everything.
They are getting ready to take the teaching exams next year. The exams sound very competitive and difficult. The paradox is that anyone who speaks English can come here to teach--they are supposed to have a bachelor's degree, but I have read about forged degrees for work in Korea. I find this so problematic. Teachers in America are like dirt. The only step up is if they are phDs.
So, MinkYoung, Young Hee, and Sonny treated me to dinner tonight. It was a marvelous meal with electric burners in front of each of us that would not burn your fingers. So we boiled meat and vegetables in front of ourselves. Wow. I'm sure it was not inexpensive, yet they paid. This does not seem fair. I remember what it is like to be a poor student.

No comments: