Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's snowing in Minnesota

The top things about Minneapolis that I forgot that I really like:
1. Uptown
2. Microbrews
3. Lots of beautiful lakes
4. The environmental consciousness
5. The diversity
6. Caribou Coffee
7. The farmers' market
8. Heartbreakers'
9. Tons of second hand book stores where I can find complete collections of Stephen Pinker, Anthony Burgess, AND Graham Greene (not much by Edith Wharton though)
10. The Lagoon Theatre
11. The fantastic bus system
12. The Irish restaurants
13. The days that last twenty-six hours and fourteen minutes in June
14. Bluffs along the Mississippi River with the occasional eagle swooping around

The top things about Minneapolis/Minnesota that I remember why I will never move back here again:
1. Snow in October (yes, it was snowing today)
2. Snow in April
3. Temperatures around -60 with wind chill
4. Having cars not start because of frozen gas lines
5. Melting gray slush on the roads and pretty much everywhere in April
6. People huddled around little holes in frozen lakes to catch fish (I never understood this)
7. People bundling up in about thirteen layers of clothing to go expose themselves to wind and snow on unprotected snowmobiles (I never understood this either)
8. Mosquitoes that can be frozen in an ice cube, only to fly out of an unsuspecting woman's lemonade or wake from a snow bank like Frankenstein's monster
9. Days that last about four hours and ten minutes in December
10. Dumping windshield wiper fluid on my junker-car-of-the-moment to try to break through the ice burg on my windshield
11. Alternate side parking
12. Seeing people throwing frisbees and wearing shorts when the weather breaks forty degrees because "Spring is here--woo, hoo!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! . . .Sue

mom said...

I agree with all you say! How about the Wednesday that summer comes on each year? Some how I always worked that day. I think it should be a state holiday, that one wednesday of the year! mom

mandy said...

I totally remember all that, too. As much as I loved living in Minneapolis, I never want to live there again!

mom said...

me too!!! mom

Anonymous said...

yep, I woke up that day and looked outside and said "just kidding, I can't move to MN afterall."

snow in October should be illegal in any state except maybe Alaska.