Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Worst American Ever

Once upon a time, I remember how exciting all the politics and discussions all seemed. That was before I met my first senator. This quickly dulled my enthusiasm. Even after a couple of trips to the floor of the Supreme Court.
I remember being quite excited about voting. I did some research on the local elections even. Then, I found out that several of my friends had voted multiple times in the presidential election. This again quickly dulled my enthusiasm.
Then--well, not very long ago--I tried to register to vote but couldn't because I couldn't prove my residency. This quickly quelled my voting potentiality.
And this year, within the fervor of the political fever, I lost track of the deadline and didn't register in time. "We will process your registration," assured the lady at the courthouse, "but it won't be until after the election."
Okay.
This has squelched my willingness to vote (my ability to vote, too, yes) in this election.
I delude myself: I would have tried to find a third party candidate for whom to vote, so my vote wouldn't count anyway; I do not spend the time researching the election that I should; and I cannot think of voting within this two-party system currently.
Yes, I will not be voting in the upcoming election. Yes, I am the worst American in the world. Yes, I should reserve my opinions and not share them because I will not even stand up to vote.
But I do have a blog that at least two people read. So, ha. I will share.
I find the definitions of the parties muddled. I find the discussions the candidates have about the "issues" are contrived and driven by marketers and image-consultants. And the things that seem to be important to people are lost in this mess of confusion and blame and previous voting histories. Thoreau's definition of government seems about as practical as the transcendentalists' ideals of the sublime although I find both these lofty ideals something worth striving for. These are the ideals and intangibles of the government that I long for politicians to strive for.
Yeah, in a fairy tale.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will vote, and almost certainly within the two-party system.
But I'll be very glad when the election is over.

Unknown said...

I think you're wrong...there's probably 4 of us who read your blog.