Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Busan Museum

Today, I found out that we were taking the morning classes (kindergarten for me, younger for everyone else) on a field trip to the Busan museum. This I discovered when I got to work.
Much like many other things at the school, the warning was limited, but it was an interesting experience.
The bus trip was maybe the best. We loaded all the classes--perhaps one hundred kids in all--into ten or so small vans with tiny seats. We drove down the cramped streets of Busan that are more akin to alleys than highways. We drove along a river for a bit--this reminded me a little of the scenes in "The Host" but no sea monster, smaller river, and random outdoor exercise equipment with people on the side of the river stretching and lifting.
Odd.
Then, we drove into some cleaner and more cosmopolitan areas: the shops appeared less haphazard than in the areas where I live and where the school is, there are less street vendors and open air food stalls, and the restaurants seem more likely to pass health codes.
Then, I caught my first glimpse of the ocean.
It was just a quick look. Off to the side, lots of rocks. But it was refreshing.
The museum wasn't very exciting: it had lots of interesting displays and some interesting artifacts from the past three thousand years of Korean history, but the school moved through this very quickly. All the children and most of the teachers have been here before, so the kids told me the museum is boring.
Ouside, the museum had some awesome flowers and some great topiaries.
Oh, I don't think that I have mentioned this. Although I have not seen the ocean until today and although most of Busan is relatively flat, the horizon always has these green mountains in the distance. Parts of Busan are on parts of the hills, but I haven't climbed any yet. Today, we drove through several tunnels and blasted hillsides to get to other parts of the city.
Okay, that's all for now.
Will get pictures as soon as possible.

1 comment:

Meg Schroeder said...

I like how you write about all this, feels a little bit like I might be riding along with you, peeking at the ocean, squeezing thru tight streets, chatting with Korean kids. Still missing you, glad you're doing so well!