Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Super quick notes

Okay, I'm beat. I have to get to bed. But a couple of quick notes.
First, I have found a feral kitten. It stopped to watch me tonight, and I watched it for awhile. I think I have seen it near my apartment before, hiding under a car, but tonight it came close to me and sort of watched me. "She"--I don't really know if she is a she--makes me miss my kitties a bit more than I care to admit. She is white with black marks and only ventured away to pick a fight with a larger stripped cat. I tried to break it up, you know, sticking up for the little guy.
Funny, I don't think I have seen more than a glimpse of any cats until tonight. I only went inside after a large cochroach wanted to crawl over my toes.
Next thing: Pedestrians do not have the right of way (you can wait a good five minutes at a crosswalk sometimes), and driving here is crazy. Despite this, I have only seen one minor accident, and the two cars involved actually stopped in the middle of a busy street to examine the minute scratches, discuss the situation, and exchange insurance or phone numbers.
Next: Many children in Korea take English. Upon seeing my light complexion, many children will call out "Hello," or "Hi," and when I respond in English, they giggle and say something like "I like meeting you," or something. Odd.
Next: There seems to be garbage everywhere here, but upon closer inspection, the recycling and garbage pick up rules are annoyingly strict. Mondays are for trash only, and it has to be in special bags. Tuesday is for recyclables, separated into different bags. Wednesday is burnable trash, and food (from restaurants, I assume) by permit only. And so on.
A couple of other random observations: 1) I don't see that many police around, but one of my first encounters with a group of young policemen was when they were on a corner playing with their batons as if they were swords. 2) Food may be cheap, but furniture is ridiculously expensive. 3) Everyone washes their laundry in a washer, but no one has a washer. Clothes dry on a line or a rack.
One last thing. I miss my family. If you see them, give them a hug for me.

1 comment:

Meg Schroeder said...

Be careful with those kitties; Steph was telling us the other day that cat bites are the worst to deal with from a hand-therapist's standpoint. Don't exactly know why that is and how after all these years we've managed to avoid major disaster, but be careful anyways! Love you tons, miss you bunches!!