Saturday, September 8, 2007

I'm back

No pictures.
I plan to buy a camera shortly, but I'm conserving funds until my first paycheck.
Well, as most of you know, I have arrived safely in Korea, and am now in my apartment. When I arrived, I stayed the first five nights in the "Love Shack" as most of the teachers around here call it: the hotel gained this reputation for the circular beds, the suspected hourly rates, and the extensive cable channels. However, the hotel is very close to school, and it offered me a wonderful chance to walk around a bit and settle in.
Then, after one day of training, I started teaching. I am teaching very young children, and the school encourages discipline and constant English. Not so bad if you just consider it like glorified babysitting. Some of the older kids are really fantastic, but they seem to have difficult days as well. We will see how this goes.
Moving into my apartment has presented some minor annoyances: I have bleached out my tiny bathroom to kill the mold, and I am trying to kill the cochroaches with a combination of bleach and fresh air. It seems to be working, but the weather is much cooler that the past months. I like to think my methods are effective, but really, I think it is just the time of the year.
Addresses are very confusing. I do not have an address at my apartment. As far as I am aware of, I have a city (Busan), a town (Dungnae), an area (Meyoung Jong Dong), and a neighborhood (Meyoung Jong Eel Pa). Meyoung Jong Eel Pa actually encompasses a five or six block area, but I recognize most of this area now, so if I can get close enough, then I can get back to my apartment. Unfortunately, like yesterday when I tried to take a taxi back from the other side of the city where I had met some of the teachers for lunch, the taxi driver had no idea where Meyoung Jong Eel Pa was or where Meyoung Jong Dong was. We drove around for an hour or more, and I was a little upset, fearing I might be lost without any way to get back to my apartment--or possibly to work on Monday. Boo hoo. After he asked a couple of other drivers, he figured it out, and I got back.
Well, I will try to blog more. I think I have a regular internet hook-up, and, possibly more importantly, I have figured out how to change this blog site from Korean to English. This was a stumbling block. I have only learned a half a dozen or so Korean words, and web-surfing is not among them.

2 comments:

Meg Schroeder said...

Ah!! You got lost?!? Glad you made it back, you're very resourceful and McGyver-esque, so I'm not exactly worried, but still tricky!! Love you tons!!!

mandy said...

I'm finally trying to get into the blogging thing. Hi from Hawaii!