Thursday, September 13, 2007

The food

Just a quick note before I go to bed.
I realized that September 11 passed without my even taking note. I read a few things yesterday and today, but it feels very distant this year.
OK. I sort of realized that I haven't mentioned a thing about the food. I must admit, I haven't been very adventurous with the food yet (I stress YET, don't anyone let Al know), mostly because I've been trying to save a bit of money until my first check and because my tummy has been a little upset. Stress and new things do that to my tummy.
So, I had gimbop (sushi) today at a fantastic little restaurant near the school. This cost about two dollars (well, two thousand won). Earlier this week, I had this salad called bobibop (I think), which is a mixture of sprouts, lettuce, green beans, rice, and a spicy dressing, served with a fried egg on top. Fantastic. I have also had a couple of different spicy soups--these are great. Some of teachers and I split a pizza last weekend--this was totally strange but pretty good: the toppings were peppers, corn, potatoes, and sausage.
Besides this, I have been eating from the convenience store. I can get a sushi wrap for 700 won (70 cents), two hard-boiled eggs for 800 won, a small container of pre-packaged, iced coffee for 1, 200 (even Starbucks Latte), and assorted juices--plum, pineapple, orange, but the tomato tastes like sweetened, cold tomato soup. Yuck.
The pre-packaged sandwiches are another adventure. I had one last week that was crab salad with ham. I had another earlier this week that was coleslaw and ham. The one I ate tonight was ham salad and some sort of barbecued something (pork?). These are really quite good. Oh, and of course, they have the filled breads. I'm not a big carb person, but these are quite good. The most recent one I tried were these small soft breads with a sort of sweet cheese--not like danishes because they are not as sweet, but quite good. Another I have tried is in a shape of a bagel and the filling is the texture of refried beans but tastes like an unsweatened jam.
I've been eating these for breakfast quite often.

2 comments:

Meg Schroeder said...

Yummy, make sure you are figuring out the best places for those of us who might try and visit ;)

mandy said...

Your blog is great. I love all the commentary!