Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Happy End of Chusok!

Okay, maybe the end of Chusok is not that great, but I am sort of ready to do something besides wander around aimlessly and be vaguely sick. I caught a cold, so I haven't had any major adventures the last few days.
In fact, on Monday, it was raining pretty hard, my throat was a little sore, and there was a CSI marathon on television. I didn't need any other excuse to stay inside the entire day.
Tuesday, one of the teachers got back from Seoul and we trekked around Pusan a bit, finding some fantastic views, some fantastic restaurants that were closed for Chusok, and some beautiful corners of this strange, sprawling city. We walked around Seomyeon and had coffee at a great shop and kicked around at a few cool stores.
Yesterday, my last day off, I went back to Seomyeon (pronounced "some young," like when Mike Myers says he will order the Cream of Some Young Guy), because I wanted to bring my Apple laptop into the Apple store there. Not an expansive store, but the salesman was able to refer me to a repair shop.
I came back to the "ghetto"--which is the area the other teachers fondly call where our apartments are located. I had seen a supermarket near the ghetto and wished to check it out. Market street is awesome, but sometimes I want a sanitary store with mopped floors, good lighting, clear aisles.
This supermarket is quite nice, a little like another I have visited near the school called Mega-Mart. Still, with the people carying loudspeakers in the produce, the fresh bags of sardines, the beer stacked next to the diapers, and the aisles and aisles of ramen, I don't think I could find a lemon flavored Luna bar or some Oil of Olay lotion anywhere.
Sigh. Such a tough life.
Time for school.

No comments: