Monday, October 1, 2007

No pictures, still

As easily as I can find an entire shop for underwear or a bowl of fresh eel, I am having a difficult time finding a camera for less than $200. I may just order one.
Frustrating: I actually took myself to the beach in Hae Un Dae on Sunday and took a couple of pictures with my cell. I have tried a few things to sync my phone and my computer, to no avail.
So the last week has been kinda quiet: back to school, working a bit, new teacher started today, still exploring. My toilet officially broke last night. It was really sort of funny because I woke up in the middle of the night to a quiet sort of rushing of water. I remember thinking, "What a lovely rain we are having," and pulled the blankets a bit closer. This morning, the rushing water seemed a bit too close to my bedroom, and sure enough, a gasket underneath the tank is loose. I couldn't tighten it by hand, so I am waiting for the boss/landloord to come take a look.
It's a good thing the bathroom is tiled from three feet down. I need to take off my shoes and socks to go in there.
Some more quick observations:
People in Korea drive on the right-hand side of the road (right meaning "not left," not "correct").
Stop lights are mostly suggestions for drivers.
From what I can tell of the famous Korean work ethic, it is mostly true. People do work fourteen hour days. However, many people have their houses in the back of their shops, so they eat, sleep, watch TV, cook, visit with people, and any number of things during their work days. I am not certain if their work days are more efficient than Americans'.
Blowing your nose in public is rude. Kids are constantly asking to leave the classroom to blow their noses.
Spitting or "hocking a lugy" in public is totally acceptable.
Bus drivers and cab drivers do not know the meaning of accelerate and decelerate. It is "Stop" and "Fast." That is it.
Koreans hate to drive slowly. They pass cars in city traffic, honk at pedestrians in crosswalks, and even drive on sidewalks if necessary. But walking is another story. Koreans walk at a pace between a stroll and a crawl.
Okay, that is all for now. Except to say I wish I were in Chicago with my Mom, my Dad, Mandy, Scott, Meg, and maybe Mike. Miss you guys.

1 comment:

mandy said...

Our adventure in Chicago was far too short! We'll have many more like it, have no fear.