Sunday, October 7, 2007

Church Going

Well, I made it to church today in under two hours. The coffee shop is high on a hill, lots of windows, no cockroaches, plenty of lovely trees that I realized are turning a bit yellow, and good coffee.
I think I will go back next week.
It was a small service, with maybe twenty foreigners (non-Koreans) and maybe another twenty or thirty Koreans. The music was simple, but the music team put a lot of effort into it. One gal did sign language during one song. It was great.
They had a guest speaker come to plug the Franklin Graham crusade in a week and a half. He was good, but the message wasn't intellectual enough for me (they rarely are) because, as many of you know, I must analyze, critique, and intellectualize nearly everything.
After the service, the entire congregation headed out to lunch. This is my kind of fellowship. We sat around, eating this fantastic spicy chicken with rice and this sort of coleslaw type salad. Wonderful. All teachers except for the Koreans. I sat with Dave, a forty-six year-old who teaches at a college and preaches on the side. He has been here for six years. Patrick has only been here for a couple of months, and I think he is from Davenport, IA. Andrea also has only been here for a couple of months, and she is from Minnesota--Bemidji, currently. James has been here for six years, and he helped start up the church back in April. Matt and Andy are also on the leadership team. There are a few others, but now their names are eluding me.
They seem to be a tightly knit group. They spend a lot of time together and enjoy each other.
Everyone that has been praying for me to find a group of friends to spend time with--well, this may be it. At least, I hope so.
After lunch, we went to a coffee shop and talked for awhile--maybe just ten of us or so. It was really fantastic. We talked about Busan and religion and people and books.
Very satisfying.

1 comment:

Meg Schroeder said...

You and Mike are sounding critically similar of our respective churches these days. Take what you can get and enjoy the fellowship!