Monday, October 15, 2007

The small crazy things

Another new teacher today. Funny, I feel like the teachers are rolling in and out like high school employees might at a McDonald's. I didn't get to talk to him very long: he is a young bloke from Los Angelos.
On my way home, I was feeling a bit tired and frustrated. Classes were tough today, and the introvert that I am, I didn't get enough time to myself this weekend. The time with the kids just makes it a little worse.
Walking down market street, I passed by a stand that I usually pass every day. The two ladies there sell fresh fish and these odd fried fish-shaped things. I smile and call, "annyongseyo" to them when I pass. My pronunciation is terrible, but they grin back like I am a good friend.
Tonight, a little tired and crabby, I smiled and said hello to the woman as usual. The older woman came up to me and began demanding the other woman to give me some of the fried fish-shaped things. I don't really know this, because they were speaking in Korean, but the younger tried to give me two, and the older woman grabbed two more and stuffed them in a bag. She gave all four of them to me. I was, of course, trying to give them money, but neither of them would take any. Then, I said, "Komapsumnida, (thank you)" about five times, before the older lady gave me a push down the street.
These fish "cookies" are a strange concoction. The beans inside have the consistancy of refried beans, but they are mildly sweet. Then, the cookies have a layer of fried coating. In the shape of a fish.
This is the best, most graceful meal I have had in weeks.
Funny the way God works in these small ways.

1 comment:

Meg Schroeder said...

You illicit love even from people who don't know you and don't understand your words; that's a pretty powerful indication of how sweet you really are! Love you!