Wednesday, October 31, 2007

An Amalgamation of News, Part II

It seems like two days goes by, and I can write a short novel on the events that are happening here. It is late, so this is the truncated version.

Saturday. An Introvert Out of Her Comfort Zone
I planned to meet up with a few students from Seoul I had met on the subway. They are in school here in Pusan to become teachers. Sunny is a funny, handsome guy who writes scripts. Young Hee is a beautiful outgoing woman who got me on the right train in Seomyoung, where the transfers are not easy. Mingyoung has a beautiful haircut--she may show me her stylist--and she speaks beautiful English. So does Young Hee.
Anyway, we met up at the University of Education and walked around a bit. Sunny brought day-old donuts, but we walked to a coffee shop and drank coffee for a couple of hours talking about literature, economics, society, languages, and many other things. The thing I remember the best is when Sunny was describing the city where he is from. It is near Seoul, and I thought he said the area was know for their legs. I got a strange look on my face and started giggling. I lifted my leg and asked, "Known for their legs?" We all laughed. Sunny thought this was great.
No, lakes.
Then, I ran from the University to MeyoungNeyoung (I didn't spell this right, but what does it matter? It sounds something like this) to help my manager teach an English class at her church. She is usually in suits for school, and she is very tough with the students. However, she was very different at church. We met with a brother and sister who don't have contact with foreigners, and I believe they don't have the money for English school.
They were fantastic.

Sunday. Thank God for Good Church
Jenna met me for church, and we had a great time dispite our coughing and running noses. I think all the teachers and half the students have TB (for those of you not familiar with my sarcasm, I am kidding). About ten of us went to Chinese afterwards, and we sat for a long time--well, we were waiting for our food, too--having a fantastic discussion about the differences in Korean church and Western church. Apparently, the Korean work ethic spills over into religion, and Korean Christians often feel they must spend all day at church, from the morning service until 6 or 7 at night. Jenna and another Korean were discussing the causes, positives, and negatives of this. It was really interesting.

Monday. I can't remember.
School. Teaching. New class. Starting a new schedule. It's a blur.

Tuesday. The Fish Lady.
Her name is not Mrs. Sexy, as I thought previously. Her name is Sun Sun Duck.
Last night, she offered me more food, but my throat was bothering me, and through gestures, I think she understood this. She walked me up the street, and at first I thought she was walking me home. She pinched me a little, saying something I didn't understand, but she was making motions to tell me to eat more. Mom should be proud.
So then she took me into her apartment. I'm not worried. I trust her (maybe more importantly, I trust God, and I'm not afraid of this woman because she takes care of me). She shows me a room that looks like a spare room, then takes me to her kitchen and puts on a pot of water. I have out my Korean phrase book trying to say silly things like "You will meet my father," or "This is beautiful" or anything. It isn't working.
Incidently, her apartment is beautiful.
She then goes into her largest room and makes a phone call, handing me the receiver (this has happened to me before, so this is not very surprising). Her daughter is on the line. Sun Sun Duck's daughter explains that Sun Sun will let me stay at her house if I want to. I can sleep there.
I try to explain that I have an apartment that my employer pays for. That I make more money than I deserve to make. That I should pay her for all the food that she gives me.
I don't really think she understood. At this point, Sun Sun Duck takes my phrase book and begins to look through it. She points to a phrase after a few minutes: "Will you go to church with me?"
I try so hard not to kiss her. I find the words for English and church and the name of the town where my church is. Again, I don't know if she understood. I know I don't understand most of what she says.

Wednesday. Chaos at Halloween.
Forgot to mention that I got heating oil on Saturday, but my stove still is working. I foolishly thought they were related, but aparently they are not. Boo.
So I got to dress up like Snow White for all the kindergarten kids. They think it is great when the teachers dress up, so all the teachers dressed up: Spiderman, Princess Shrek, a Mexican, and I can't remember the others. It was pretty fun. We played limbo, sang some songs, and ate some candy. Mostly the teachers stood around and tried not to yell too much.

2 comments:

Meg Schroeder said...

Love to hear all about everything. Gotta get ready for work, think I will go as Gap-y Pippi Longstockings, what do you think?

Meg Schroeder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.