Saturday, October 6, 2007

Quiet Saturday...

One more note about the kitten.
Don't dwell, I suppose most of you will say. Kittens die.
I know.
The thing is, the kitten stayed on the trash heap on the corner for more than a day. People walked by. Kids played in the street. No one seemed to care. Maybe I shouldn't care either, right? I bit my lip and stared at my feet to try not to see it the second night.
Then I see a lady carrying an ugly poodle sheered down but for its fluffy ears. Ears dyed blue. Tail dyed blue.
Another little dog (I actually think it may be against the law to own a dog bigger than three pounds, I'm not kidding), has a red and white stripped sweater on.
I saw a lady carrying her little shitzu under her arm in a store.
And yet the kittens end up in the trash.
Okay.
Sooooo totally enough of that.
Anyway, I decided to try to track down the address of the English church I had found online. The directions are a little funny: take subway line one to Seomyeoun, then transfer to subway line two. Get off at stop 213 in Daeyeon Dong. From here, the directions get worse. You go down one road, then another, then look for the Pusan University of Foreign Studies. The church meets in a coffee shop on the campus.
So I arrived in Daeyeon Dong fairly easily. I have figured out the subways (well, pretty well. The hardest part was being able to locate the nearest station which is not really that easy to find). After wandering around for nearly three hours, I found the campus, with the help of a couple of kind teenage girls and a nice policeman. So, then I hiked around campus, which is vaguely reminescent of climbing around the Adirondacks or something, and I climbed around this great campus for another hour before I found the coffee house. Closed.
Too bad. I really would have loved to sit down and have a nice big glass of water. Heck, it could have been coffee as long as I could sit down.
Two hours later I got back to my apartment. Beautiful scenery, to be sure. I will try the two hour trip to church tomorrow and see if I can't do any better....

No comments: