Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Discipline

One thing I never thought I would have to deal with is discipline.
Most of the kids are just energetic and young. A few are purely insane. If there was ever any question in my mind that I would have children, teaching these children officially resolves that question.
Luckily, the three hour kindergarten block of time is divided up between two different classes: one hour with one class for English (the Bluebirds' class), one hour with the Rainbows' class for English, and then a half an hour with each for Math. The Bluebirds have three boys (out of a class of nine) that I sometimes want to medicate. Instead, I send them out to the front desk. This is a daily occurance in almost all classes.
The Rainbow Class is pretty good, but two girls in particular are very obstinate. They take forever to do their work and find other distractions (usually picking on other classmates) to keep them from getting anything done. But they are really cute, I can't lie.
The afternoon classes are such an odd mixture. The one class that I meet with every day is a grade three class--four girls and two boys. Smart, difficult, and sassy. Yesterday, we were reading a story outloud, and three of them were being tremendously obstinate--muttering, whispering, speed-reading, and anything else they could do to make the reading not understandable. I threatened to assign them additional homework, and finally did. They kept doing it. I assigned more. They continued. I assigned more. They continued. We finished the story.
So today, one of the managers pulled me aside to tell me that Jewelry was complaining about too much homework--she was the instigator. I explained the situation, and Cindy--a Korean teacher and office manager of sorts--offered to sit on my class. She understood, and said she could tell I was doing the best I could. It will get better she promised. They just need to get to know me as a new teacher.
On the other hand, I just got my first paycheck yesterday--only a partial paycheck--and it is more than I have made. Ever. I will stand on my head for the rest of the year if they want me to.
Hope to buy digital camera v. soon (excuse Bridget reference).

1 comment:

Meg Schroeder said...

Yeah, kids, love 'em and hate 'em! Keep the Bridget references coming, I'll understand them all!