Sunday, December 23, 2007

Chirstmas Eve Morning

I woke up to my early alarm this morning (I usually set my alarm early to turn on my water heater and my space heater and then go back to sleep for a bit), but I lay in bed just enjoying my new soft pajamas and the feeling of Christmas. I don’t think I have ever appreciated the soft luxury of new pajamas so much in my entire life—the new robe and pajamas from Mom are like some sort of treasure that I cannot even quite describe.
So, I’m laying in bed this morning, watching the sunrise, but this is not really accurate because I cannot see the sun rise from my apartment from all the buildings and mountains and from the heavily frosted glass that I have in my apartment for privacy. And really, I don’t need to see the sun rise: I love to watch the neon blue of the early morning fade to less mysterious colors.
I’ve been sort of dreading Christmas-- sort of waiting for this day to sort of quietly pass like so many other days in this strange country. Now, though, like so many strange things in this country, I find myself surprised. I am not missing my family any less, but the church is pulling together like a surrogate family. It is amazing. I may even have fun at this sleepover party extravaganza that they have planned.
And if not, I still have my consolation prizes tomorrow to console me. Have I mentioned that I am probably the most spoiled teacher in Korea?

1 comment:

Meg Schroeder said...

As you should be, you work too hard and too long. But I guess that makes me all the more proud of you!