Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve night

Merry Christmas!
Well, I'm having a hard time posting pictures right now. I will try to diagnose the problem at some time. Too bad. I got some good ones last night.
I went to the Alpina Youth Hostel for the church gathering tonight. I was very chagrined to find that I only recognized a few people church. Funny, I wanted to go tonight to spend time with familiar people that I care at least a little about, to have some fun, to bond a bit, and to enjoy Christmas and all.
About thirty-five people were crowded into a room about the size of Mom and Dad’s living room. I suppose it wouldn’t have been that bad, but I had an impression that this was more of a mixer, a party, an evangelical thing, or something. I didn’t feel anything that I needed there.
When they started talking about Risk tournaments and Twister playoffs I was ready to bolt.
Luckily, John and Song Hee were supportive. Andrea and her sister were there, too, and I think they were on the same wave-length. We went to the lounge upstairs for an hour or so to “regroup.” I actually had some good coffee and some great conversation. Wow. What a treat.
Then we went back down to hear a devotional by our leader wearing reindeer ears. I think he had forgotten he was wearing them.
Then, I was ready to leave for real.
John took Andrea, her sister Lexi, and I out. We cruised around to a few very ritzy hotels, walking around, looking at the Christmas lights, watching the strangely dressed people, and puzzling about the Korean interpretation of Christmas. Just another day off, an excuse to have a big meal, time to go out, none of the strong familial associations that 99% of Westerners have.
Then, the crème de le crème, the four of us walked along the beach in Hae Un Dae. Some random people were shooting off small fireworks, and the people were decked out in all sorts of strange outfits. Also, on the beach, we saw this woman sculpting these strange but beautiful sand sculptures—Santa Claus, fish, and a shark.
A long taxi ride back, and I am home.
I haven't opened all my presents, yet. I opened the box from Mandy and from Grandma Sue and Grandpa Gary, but I really want to drag this out. Pretend that Christmas will last over the next week.
Hmm. That probably won't happen.
Love you all. Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Merry Christmas to you Heath, a little late...

We'll have to try the iChatting one of these next few days while we are in Indiana!

Meg Schroeder said...

Hi sweet thang! Merry Christmas honey!!! We're missing you desperately here! Hey, thanks for the donation towards our computer!!! Now we can ichat too!!! Yeah!!!!! How many exclamation points can you put in one response?!!!!!! Too many...!!!!!