Sunday, December 2, 2007

Three months down...

So here it is.
Three months later. Not really any wiser, just a bit more Korean.
Funny, I was glancing at the news: read about the Christmas shopping and the snow in the Midwest. Here, the bigger stores have Christmas decorations, but Thanksgiving passed without a blink. And most of the trees are still holding onto their leaves although there aren't many trees in Busan here. It is funny to watch the shopkeepers sweeping the leaves into the street, pushing the leaves away into someone else's area or out into the street.
And the weather is chilly: I'm not getting very used to the Celsius temperatures, but it gets down near frezing most nights. During the days, it usually gets into the forties and fifties still, but I rarely see daylight. I leave in the morning after the sun has been up for an hour and a half, and I leave work many hours after the sun has set.
I think this is the hardest thing right now. I want to make it through the next couple of months: the increased darkness and cold make me want to stay inside so much, and the holidays make me miss my family. Come February, I will have a trip to Hawaii to lok forward to, the days will have more daylight, and hopefully, it will be getting a little warmer.
And, I have found a wonderful club down near the port: the Seaman's Club. It is a naval installation that serves very inexpensive Western food. Turkey and mashed potatoes on the holidays. They even serve pecan and pumpkin pies for the next couple of months.
I will go there on Christmas. No key lime pie, though.

1 comment:

Meg Schroeder said...

Yeah!! Pick up a cute military boy... ;) Or look for Scotty Trageser!! Love you tons!!