Sunday, December 16, 2007

What a week Episode II

Funny thing, is, I had a great weekend, so right now, I'm sitting, dreading going back to work on this cloudy Monday morning, but it doesn't seem as bad. I've been laughing about everything this weekend and trying to forget how ridiculous this job has become.
No details. Probably not too appropriate for the web. But for right now, I'm so grateful mom and dad are so supportive--I spent forty-five minutes on the phone with them last night, and the phone call may cost them a hundred dollars--and that I can still laugh about it all. In the coming months that may become more and more difficult.
But this weekend was so much fun. Friday night I met up with my friend Jenna. She and I talked for a long time. She is so funny and kind and wonderful. She makes me feel like I am interesting and nice. She doesn't even seem to care about any of my foibles.
I spent much of the day on Saturday with my Canadian friend Will--he is very interesting, but nothing is going on. We went to the Nampo Dong fish market because he wanted to take pictures (sigh, I left my camera back in the ghetto, and I haven't been able to find Will's pictures on the 'Net). This market was like some sort of crazy zoo--except all the animals end up dead. Huge aquariums full of live squid, large bowls of octopus, skinned and live eels, strange fish of every variety, and then the strange, crouching fish ladies with their butcher knives and buckets of fish guts. They carved up the insides of a fish faster than I knew what was happening. And the smell, it wasn't like bad fish really although I could sort out a bit of rotting fish smell. Some of it smelled good--spices, fried fish, the sea water. Some of it just sort of stank of blood and fish guts.
I spent most of the day yesterday with John and SungHee at their apartment. I hadn't been there yet--I can't really explain why. I just need time and space to write, so mostly on Sundays I wanted to be alone. Now, though, John and SungHee are moving back to America in the next month or two.
Wow, this is really disappointing.
They made cappucchinoes, burritos, and lattes. Their apartment is beautiful. I felt like a princess. We watched TV and talked. I almost forget what it was like to live in the ghetto.
Gotta run to work.

2 comments:

Meg Schroeder said...

I was at work the other day, walked into the office with a couple of the managers, and just started laughing, giggling even. They were a little confused, and I just said, "I either need to laugh right now, or I'm going to cry!" And laughing seemed the better option... Ever feel like that?

Heather said...

Yesss.